Calwest Services offer repairs and servicing of your vernier caliper to ensure reliable operation. We will clean, lubricate, and replace batteries as part of our calibration service. For Mitutoyo and Starrett verniers we offer more extensive repairs, and can replace damaged parts.
If your verniers are worn or damaged beyond repair, Calwest Services can supply a new vernier with a calibration certificate meeting all the requirements of the Australian Standard.
To ensure accuracy and instrument reliability, Calwest Services recommends the following preventive maintenance and usage guide:
- When using verniers, only apply a light force to the measuring head to close the jaws on the object being measured. Excessive force can bend the jaws and result in measurement errors.
- When removing the vernier from the object being measured, open the jaws prior to removal. Never drag the vernier as this may cause damage and excessive wear to the measuring face.
- Due to thermal expansion and its negative effect on measurements, it is important to monitor temperature variations. Ideally, all measurements should be at around 20 degrees Celsius. However, for practical reasons, the vernier and the object being measured should be at the same temperature.
- Clean the vernier after every use, to ensure free slide movement and prevent rust.
- Regularly lubricate the vernier with a drop of light oil, wipe clean, and then slide the scale a few times.
- Be mindful of where you are working. Keep the vernier clear from potential hazardous environments, such as magnets, welding tables, and heavy tools that can damage the vernier.
- When not in use, store the vernier in a dry and humid-free place, preferably in its original protective case.
- Depending on usage, verniers should be calibrated every 12 months.
For more information on vernier calibration and repairs, call Calwest Services on (08) 9451 5070.